Friday, May 23, 2014

The quesarrito lives!

So Chipotle apparently has a secret menu item called the quesarrito. Paul and I had been talking to each other about it for a while (Paul first told me of the existence of this mysterious beast), but neither of us had actually ever gotten one. Until yesterday!!! I ordered the quesarrito, at which the gracious tortilla tosser flashed a little smile and started to put one together. For those of you who don't know, the quesarrito is two tortillas sandwiched around some melted cheese (i.e., a quesadilla) which then serves as the wrapper for a burrito. Seemed gluttonous, but I was hungry today. So I went for it. Somehow my burritos barely make it through the wrapping process, and the quesarrito fared even worse:

Nowadays, I always get double beans/no rice, which I think has something to do with it. Regardless, though, I don't think the quesadilla-as-wrapper did us any favors. The stiffness of the shell certainly made it difficult to wrap. She did her best, though, and even offered to start over, but it looked good enough, so off I went, extra napkins in tow.

And then I tried to eat this thing. It was BIG. But actually not as unwieldy as I had feared. The cheese had solidified, and so if anything, the shell actually held its shape better than a regular tortilla would have:


Slowly but surely, I gobbled this thing up. Verdict: yummy! But honestly, not that yummy, and certainly not proportionally more yummy than a regular burrito. I asked the burrito maker whether they get many repeat customers for the quesarrito, and the answer was no. I think that will be the case for me as well. But I'm certainly glad I did it!

No comments:

Post a Comment